Learning to Farm
From Paleolithic to Neolithic…
7,000 - 10,000 years ago
How did hunter-gatherers influence their environment?
How did hunter-gatherers deal with plants?
- Harvested wild grain
- Gathered berries, nuts and roots
- TRIED to save food for times when there was none
How did hunter-gatherers deal with animals?
- Followed herds
- Hunted wild animals
- Protected herds by driving off predators
How Neolithic farmers influence their environment?
How did Neolithic farmers deal with plants?
- Domesticated plants
- Selected and sowed (planted) seeds
- Changed environment by planting crops (choosing what plants grow)
How did Neolithic farmers deal with animals?
- Captured and domesticated wild animals
- Physical changes in animals
- Forced wild animals off their land
- Used land for grazing
Comparing Hunter-Gatherers to Neolithic Farmers:
What were the strengths or weaknesses of farming and hunting-gathering in the areas of life listed?
Can raise more food Must follow the food supply
Can feed more people Able to store small amounts of food
Creates a surplus
Housing PeopleFarming Hunting-Gathering
People live in one place (community) No permanent housing
Permanent/comfortable dwellings Live seasonally in caves, huts
Beginning of civilization
More people live in a smaller area Energy spent moving from place to place
Surplus allows for trading Carry everything with them
People can have different jobs
Development of villages