Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Summer Update!

Hey Friends!!

I hope you're all having an awesome summer, beating the heat, and spending time with your family, your friends, or just enjoying nights with no homework. I know I am!

I wanted to give a quick update on my summer. I just got back from a month in Italy, where I visited so many archaeological sites, ancient History museums, and delicious restaurants, that I can't believe how much I was able to pack into a few short weeks. I'm still going through my more than 2000+ photos that I took while I was there. Here are a few:

Here's a cool example of a combination of Egyptian and Roman religions coming together.
Anubis is shown wearing a Roman soldier's tunic.

The temple of Hera at Paestum, along with two others, are some of the best preserved Greek temples in the world!
Not bad for about 2,500 years old.

This Roman mosaic from Pompeii may or may not express your feelings when you realize summer's almost over :P

The well-preserved amphitheater in the Roman city of Puteoli (modern Pozzuoli) actually shows how wild animals were kept in cages for the gladiator shows in ancient times. 

The ancient Roman city of Saepinum still shows how a small mountain town of the Samnite tribe was taken over and rebuilt by the Roman conquerers.  

Not such a bad view - Overlooking the Bay of Naples, including the modern city of Naples and the ancient city of Pompeii, as seen from the summit of Mt. Vesuvius. 
 
This ancient Sardinian statue actually looks like a stone C3PO!

The ancient city of Tharros was originally a Phoenician colony, then conquered by Carthage, and taken over by the Romans. 

The local Bronze Age people of Sardinia built these cool tower fortresses called Nuraghi between 2400-1600 BCE

I had to take a pic in front of the ancient village of Su Nuraxi in Sardinia. 

Even though I already have so many, one more picture of the Colosseum wouldn't be so bad...

I booked a special appointment to visit the Domus Aurea, the palace of the Roman Emperor Nero.
It was buried, and it now an active underground archaeological dig

Once his massive, luxurious palace was completed, Emperor Nero declared, "Finally, I can live like a human being!"


Finally, as promised, I want to give a shout-out to Teddy! He went to Istanbul with his family and sent a couple of snapshots of what looks like an amazing trip!

The Sultan Ahmed Mosque, also known as the Blue Mosque, is one of the largest landmarks in Istanbul

Clearly Teddy is putting the vast amounts of ancient history he learned last year to good use!

No comments:

Post a Comment